Home > The Parishes > St Peter's Snelston

St Peter's Snelston

In the middle ages Snelston was a chapelry in the parish of Norbury. It was only in the nineteenth century that it became independent vicarage. In 1552 the church was visited by Commissioners to establish its worth.  A number of different types of vestment were listed and it was recorded that there were three bell. It is interesting to note that a report by Parliamentary Commissioners of 1650 considered Snelston to be a larger parish than Norbury.

The state of the fabric must have gradually deteriorated because only the tower survives from that period.  The main body of the church was rebuilt in 1825.  There were further major alterations in the early 1900s when the nave was lengthened westwards by 10 feet and a new western doorway was inserted. Amongst other work the chancel was re-floored with black and white marble and a new reredos of oak and alabaster inserted. The re-opening service after these major works took place on 16 October 1907 attended by the Bishop of Southwell.

The church was visited during the 1870s by the antiquarian J Charles Cox who wrote the history of Derbyshire churches entitled Notes on the churches of Derbyshire.  During that visit he saw a lead font which he dated to circa 1300. 

The church tower contains 3 bells but they are not those recorded in 1552.  Two of them are the work of the Nottinghamshire foundry of George Oldfield, 1635 and 1688 and the third is dated 1755 by Thomas Hedderle. The bells were re-hung in 1907.